Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Frank Zappa "Lumpy Gravy"


Frank Zappa was [and still is] a genius. His first solo album is "Lumpy Gravy"- unfortunately I don't understand the meaning of its name. Its a bit inconsistent, as Zappa describes it. The album is divided into 2 parts.
The track "Duodenum" which is featured in part 1 is plainly brilliant: exciting, ironic and beautiful at the same time (an awkward piece, for sure).
Wikipedia says the following: "On first listening, the album may appear to have no musical structure. But after repeated listening the album's unique flow begins to make more sense.". It's a pitty that I still haven't found the "album's unique flow"- and no, I'm not being sarcastic (I think that Zappa thought about what he was making, not a complete random collage of samples or noise).

You can hear the track "Duodenum" when seing this clip on youtube that I found out some minutes ago:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails